Saturday, 10 March 2012

He's All About The Dialogue

Noticed a cute class writing assignment in the halls of Nechako school.  Students from grade 3 were photographed with a 'yucky face' and wrote a description of the most unappealing food they'd ever sampled.
Most of the writing consisted of just that: descriptions but one young fellow's piece contained 8 lines of dialogue out of a total of 10 sentences.

Eggplant is a very revolting (in a disgusting way) veggie. My tale goes like this...
"Okay Axxxx, try this scrumptious veggie" says Mrs. Mxxxxxxx
"Sure...um...what is it?" I say
"You'll find out especially soon" says Mrs. Mxxxxxxx
I said "Hmmm, okay"  I say, kind-a gross feeling. "Um...I'll try it now"
Next thing I know, I feel like I'm going to hurl.
"I don't want to be rude but...you call that scrumptious?" I yelled.
"that almost made me hurl!"
"Brrrrring!" screamed the lunch bell.
"Gotta run - bye!"

I found his little piece quite inspiring since I find dialogue to be the most daunting aspect of writing. I really like how the bell sound is even given the dialogue treatment!
Perhaps we're looking at the next Tarrantino?


No comments: