Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Arts Festival 2011: Final Event

Spent a good chunk o' Monday striking the On Cue exhibit at the library then taking the various pieces back to their respective homes so I really wasn't planning on attending the final performance which was the Naden Band.  They're the Canadian Navy's west coast band so I was expecting marching band/military type stuff.  As I ran through the theatre I caught some very nice sounds while they rehearsed and warmed up so it seemed a shame to miss the closing event.  I cleaned myself up a bit, dressed in theatre black just in case I was pressed into service at the Front of House (and I was).
As I listened to the incredible music they were producing it occurred to me that I've never been in the presence of a real, professional live band before.  A Big Band, not a drony little marching band.
It. Was. Epic.
They played music from popular movies, jazz and swing, with a jaw dropping full length version of Sing, Sing, Sing featuring...well... what I can only describe as some ultra masculine drumming.
I'm glad that I went and I'm glad that it's over!
http://youtu.be/iInxEWAy8A4  ( here's a link to them on Youtube)

No comments: