Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Chunking

When we get a type of snow that I've termed 'chunking', large clumps of snow fall from the sky to form a bumpy surface.  No deep and crisp and even for us, no sir!
We had 40 cm of snow yesterday which fortunately wasn't followed by too much rain.  Some Kitimites told me they saw clumps of snow the size of their palm falling yesterday which is actually a minor form of this type of snow fall.
Put your thumbs and forefingers together: now pull them apart by 2 or 3 centimeters; this is the size of 'flakes' that I've seen falling from the sky during some weather events.  You should see the speeds these ...well...I guess snow bombs wouldn't be too strong a term...can reach and yes they really do appear to explode on impact.
By the end of such winters I dream of entire clouds falling in quick succession from the sky.

No comments: