Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Graffiti Group

    There she is...Tanya...community activist and outta control volunteer. 
She's the one who dreamed up this little scheme and dragged me onboard as artistic advisor. 
Of course I end up painting.
She organized priming of the wall yesterday, allowing students to wade in to slap up some primer.  I ran from child to child, frantically giving brief tutorials on the best way to use a tray and roller.
You wouldn't believe all the pointers one has to ...well, point out until the task is analysed and tecnique assessed.  I appreciate the value of having the kids invested in the mural and am thrilled that Tanya was in charge of that stage.
(no one ever wants to see the inside of my brain when confronted with the inefficient and sloppy application of paint.)
     When Tanya and I returned the next day to paint we noticed that Grad 2010 had found the freshly blank wall to be irresistable and I took great satisfaction in obscuring their work, a mere 12 hours after its application.  This took me around the corner with some impromptu spheres/bubbles while Tanya went to work on the background colours of the main wall.  It's about 100 feet long.
     I must get busy on a sign thanking sponsors and listing the artists who will be featured (i.e. welcome) on the mural, especially our star, Jordan who'll be doing authentic graffiti style work and who shouldn't be confused with the riff-raff.
     Then I'll go see if we had any more visiters last night.
   

No comments: