I'm a little artist in the big, dark woods tracking the progress - or procrastination - of various artistic endeavors as I prepare to leap into a bigger pond. Sprinkled in between these are the extreme weather/scenery of Kitimat and the surrounding region as well as local situations that catch my attention.
Saturday, 26 June 2010
Dance Impressions
We put on a show today! Reception for the Dance Impressions exhibit at the Mall...complete with Madame Mayor, cake, coffee...mmmm!...big honkin' piece o' cake. (been a while)
Leah came in from Smithers in May for Dance Month to give 7 different elementary school classes a 45 minute workshop in hip-hop and stomp. I then presented these classes with an oil pastel workshop where we first looked at rhythm in nature, the various styles that artists have used to depict dance and dancing throughout history and had a discussion on how we might present our own versions of what dance feels like for each individual. Was a pretty cool concept to spring on students from grade 1 to grade 5 or 6 - they all caught on and sometimes were even able to invent an interesting title for their piece. I encouraged them to think up descriptive and provocative words or phrases rather than use the first and most literal thing that came to mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment