Two months ago I finally attended my first evar! Spoken Word/Slam event in Calgary. I'd only experienced Spoken Word/Slam poetry on cbc radio so it was an inspiration to witness the process in person. Sherri D Wilson was a wonderful host and I (and TwinB) enjoyed the performers and whole environment. (But - My goodness...from the amount of smokes we bummed out could we ever tell we were in the presence of young, starving artists!) I couldn't help but notice that I have heard comparable material and presenters in our lil' old corner of the world so resolved to put together a similar event at the earliest and most opportune time here, so, seeing that 'Culture Days' were upon us this weekend - Sept. 24 to 26 - I arranged to hold an Open Mic/Spoken Word evening.
Here's what we got:...old fellas Storytelling, and young gals angsting - in very subtle and subversive ways - and older broads reading a variety of poignant material. We also were treated to a work in progress for young readers and a synopsis of a story I'd heard a couple of years back by a younger male writer. The crowd loved his punch line/spoiler and I hope that this composition will eventually see it's full development into a completed story.
The fella featured in this photo- (A well known local thespian - the reader should be wary of these creatures) was asked by my co-conspirator to read something - anything but Robert Service - and even though he had to help his son retrieve a boat from the bottom of Minette Bay, arrived to sing his own little dittty based on 'If I Were A Rich Man' describing what he'd do 'If He Won The Lotto'. It was very humourously delivered.
It was a great evening and everyone is looking forward to another.
No comments:
Post a Comment