Saturday, 18 September 2010

Good Afternoon Mrs. Hutson...

telemarketer: "How are you today, Mrs. Hutson?"
Me:  "People keep pestering me with phone calls"
telemarketer:  "Well then...fuck off"

I do a half laugh and hang up. 
Wow.  I've just been totally burned by a telemarketer.  And I wasn't even crude, rude or offensive.  To my mind anyway.  The only reason I'd answered is because I'd been getting non-stop calls from them ALL DAY.
The entire conversation consisted of those very three sentences.
Apparently I'm The Straw.
Is this my hidden secret power - to push people over the edge with seemingly innocuous conversation?
It's happened before:  I occasionally toss off a comment or sentence that elicits a reaction so far beyond what one would expect that I'm beginning to finally understand (at my late stage in life) there is something innately provacative in how I communicate sometimes.* 
I really work towords that in visual art.  It's a challenge, really.  Not easy either since I like to convey my ideas in visually appealling ways.  I think there's a subversive and compelling strength in that.
Getting countless calls, then that response initially made me feel just a little bit violated - but now...now?!...I'm feeling empowered!!

Oh yeah, Baby - You talkin' to............The Straw!!

*The Husband would attest to that!

No comments: