Friday, 1 October 2010

That?...

...is some grizzly shit

I'm basing this on: 
A. the size, seeing as it's as large as a horse crap
B.  the form - carnivorous
C.  we have 2 families of grizzlies wandering the town

I took advantage of the perfect light this morning to take about 50 photos around Kildala neighborhood.  I did have a bit of concern about these beasts in the back of the mind until I came upon two mounds of these sitting in the middle of the sidewalk.  (Do bears shit in the woods?? Oh, don't even get me started!! NO!)
The concern was suddenly nudged to an area more in the front of my brain, so I was a bit more aware of my surroundings for the rest of the walk.

A good buddy phoned me this afternoon to tell me about her close encounter with FOUR grizzlies.  Yesterday evening, her yard was visited by the Mama Bear and 3 second year cubs.  This is one successful mama because not only did the three survive, she's got them to the size of an average adult black bear.  
And they were silent.  BuddyGal said that they carefully picked their way over pots and planters never making a sound.  Compare this to black bears who have a tendency to walk through anything and often make quite a racket.  I mentioned all this to TwinB who commented "sounds like they might have been hunting"   : 0
Mama bear makes her way to the deck and then pressed her face against the sliding glass doors which, thankfully don't give way.  A few minutes later she rises up on her hind legs and makes eye contact with BuddyGal's husband watching from a bedroom window.   Kind of gave him some willies.
Of course they didn't get photos what with frantically worrying about whether or not the bear would break in.  Today, though they're getting more used to the idea and he was planning on sitting on the roof to take a photo if they visit again.
Sure wouldn't catch me doing that...okay...maybe from a 2 storey roof.

No comments: