Monday, 12 July 2010

Splitting

I went to see TwinB's former doctor here and I learned a new term: splitting.
Update 07/17: when I looked up 'splitting' in regards to BPD it refers to the black and white thinking typical of the disorder...and I already knowed that so I don't know what the doctor was talkin 'bout.  Must be something but I suspect it goes by a different term.
I was in there to find out how to access files that could be sent to Alberta so's the kind folks who work with Persons Of Challenge could get her on the AISH.  (assistance for the severely handicapped)  She doesn't need them for any income supplement at present but it would be nifty if they could cover her $200 a month meds and to step in if she relapses at some point.  The doctor agreed that she really should have some ongoing mental health care and that he would find notes and assessments that would prove her eligible.
Her one stipulation was that it not include borderline personality disorder and after a lengthly debate he was able to assure me that he could swing it in the bipolar direction...which he considers a more stigmatizing label, oddly.
As he glanced over her history he noted that borderline PD had been suggested as far back as 2000 which would have been her first hospitalization.  He listed 4 features they'd identified to support this, though it wasn't applied to her since she was only 14 and no firm diagnosis is normally made till age 18.
One of the terms he mentioned was this 'splitting' thing which is where the professionals don't all agree on the diagnosis - splitting the team - so they view the patient as being disruptive even though they're not present. 
How convenient.
If someone decides you have BPD and someone else thinks they're on the wrong track well that's just more proof that you have it.
*smacks forehead*

No comments: