Friday, 1 June 2007

Influences (b)

yesterday was the final class for the after school kids at the rec centre.
One girl thought it would be lots of fun to try a Picasso style painting so I ran with it. Didn't have any examples or oil pastels with me so everyone ended up veering off into surrealism. A teeny, tiny grade 4 - grand master of the Garfield - pieced together an intentionally mangled character (reveled in the twinges of discomfort it elicited from a couple classmates) and when she'd completed that proceeded to draw a skull.
I ask how often she draws skulls-
'this is my first one' she peeps.
How could she go from Garfield to skulls and mangle-ment so abruptly? Just as I was starting to get a little alarmed it suddenly came to me...
Right...Guest Artist Erin

And I think we just created a kindred soul who will crave that little thrill you get when
you know you're making the viewer squirm.

No comments: